Saturday, April 23, 2011

How does the Easter Bunny come to your house?

As Cavan is napping today, I decided to stuff her Easter basket. I have been prepping her for the Easter Bunny all week, telling her that when she wakes up on Sunday, the first thing we have to check is to see if the bunny came, leaving her a basket of treats. Sorta like Christmas: leave a plate of carrots and celery on the coffee table and when she comes up in the morning, the veggies will be eaten and in their place, her basket. She is excited.

Cavan's Easter basket contains a coloring book with stickers, a bag of balloons (she loves balloons), a bottle of bubbles, a package of zinnia seeds, and 12 iridescent eggs filled with her favorite treat—M-n-M's! I didn't want to go overboard with presents, just goodies.

I am sitting right across the coffee table from Hubby while I'm stuffing the basket. He even suggests the seeds, since Cavan loves helping me in the garden. Good call! After I am done filling all the eggs with candy and stuffing the basket, I turn the finished product to Hubby and say, "here it is!"

First he responds, "where is the stuffed animal?" I thought about that while I was at the store, but I wanted to get her little treats that she would actively use, not just another cheap stuffed animal to add to the ten thousand we already have. Second thing he says, "Why did you stuff the basket now?" Huhhh??!!  He then proceeds to tell me that in his childhood, he and his siblings would leave the empty baskets out on Easter eve and they would know the bunny came because on Easter the baskets would be filled. And finally he tells me, "I guess we'll start the tradition next year."

So, as you can imagine, I'm a bit irritated by these responses after I'm the one that took the time and effort to shop for the goodies and then try to make them special for Cavan's Easter. What's wrong with the way I was doing the Easter prep? How is that less of a "tradition?" Won't it be obvious that the Easter Bunny came if there was no Easter basket one day and it suddenly appears the next morning? And why did you watch me fill and decorate the basket for a half hour before telling me that you wanted to leave it empty tonight? I think that leaving empty baskets out, like X-mas stockings, is a really cute idea, but I don't enjoy the dismantling of my excitement in the process. Communication failure.

So here's my question? What are your Easter Bunny rituals?

1 comment:

  1. We never had a personal Easter basket. The Polish tradition was to put in a basket a sampling of the food that would be eaten on Easter. This include baked ham, Polish sausage, horseradish, hard boiled eggs, rye bread, butter lamb, salt etc. The basket would then be taken to church for a blessing. There were about 4 different time slots so everyone would have a chance to get their basket blessed.

    We may have gotten chocolate rabbits, jellybeans and peeps to eat but they were just bought and not put in a basket. Candy and toy Easter baskets were not given, Easter was all about Christ's resurrection.

    When Grandpa was a little boy he would make money by taken people's baskets to the church to be blessed. He had several on each arm. If he was lucky he may have gotten a nickle/basket. Big money back in the 30's

    Greatgrandma Josephine Osinksi was a fantastic baker. She would make money by baking Easter lamb cakes. Grandpa would make money by delivering them to the customers in his wagon.

    Your Easter baskets was done just fine. If you want to start a tradition next include a book on Christ's resurrection. Maybe that could be my job.

    Hugs, kisses and love to all of you on Easter and always.

    ReplyDelete