Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Diaper bags revisited

Current diaper bag.
Fantastic, durable construction, as you can see.
After last month's post on the oh-so-fashionable diaper bag, I decided to do a little research into a modern purse-like baby carry-all. First, here's a picture of my current bag (luckily, with Cavan potty-trained, I haven't had to carry it recently). Notice the completely ripped and frayed seam from carrying the damn thing by the handle. Seriously, if you can't make a bag to withstand the weight of its contents when carried by the handle, don't charge me $70 for the bag (stupid piece of poo!) As we all know, I am cheap, and I didn't want to spend another wad of cash for another diaper bag, but I really don't think this one will survive another child.

Searching on Amazon, here is what I found for the price I'm willing to part with. If  $70 buys a piece of poo messenger-style bag, maybe $150 will get me something that will actually live through two years of abuse without completely disintegrating. Timi and Leslie bags seem pretty fashionable, cost the right price, and boast high customer ratings. Here are the choices (see photos at the bottom of page).

The Annette. Five stars. Comes in pewter, black or red. (Leaning toward black, but the red could be cool too.) This is the front runner.

The Hannah. Four starts. Comes in pewter or black. Nice hardware details. BUT, the few negative reviews of the bag suggest the seams easily tear. I could take my chances based on the bulk of the 5-star ratings, or avoid this choice due to my major complaint with my current bag.

The Marilyn II. Five stars. Definitely black, as far as the color choices. It has a shinier look about it  and seems to be more structured than the other two, which are a bit "floppier" in style and fabric. I'm not sure I like the two pseudo pocket clip details on the front...hmmm.

Any votes from my readers? I know ya'll are experts in diaper bags. OR, do you have a brand/bag that you love or hate. Let me know! I'm in the market.

The Annette
The Hannah


The Marilyn II

1 comment:

  1. hannah in pewter on looks alone but annette based on ratings too- in black i think.
    i have to say that i have just carried a larger purse instead of a diaper bag for the past year- it was $20 from target and still going strong after a year of abuse every day..... (i do have a different diaper bag that goes to the sitters twice a week) maybe i just got lucky!

    ReplyDelete